Auto code completion for IJ macro

What about pressing ctrl+space after backspacing?

Would be doable, but more work. Right now @haesleinhuepf populates the autocomplete with data from functions.html. We’d have to also ask ImageJ which menu commands are available:

#@ ModuleService moduleService
runCompletions = moduleService.getModules().stream()
	.filter{ info -> info.getMenuPath().getLeaf() != null }
	.map{ info -> info.getMenuPath().getLeaf().getName() }
	.collect()
println(runCompletions.size() + " completions found:")
runCompletions.forEach{ completion -> println("\t" + completion) }

Which on my up-to-date Fiji installation reports:

Started New_.groovy at Wed Jun 27 11:23:37 CDT 2018
1069 completions found:
	Focus Search Bar
	 Load Particles (.tif file - fast)
	 Open VirtualStack
	 Save Particles (.tif file - fast)
	16-bit
	2D Histogram
	2D Stitching
	3-3-2 RGB

And then feed that information into the IJ macro autocompletion support for run.

I’ll try to get this feature released and uploaded before end of Friday.

Awesome idea @dnmason and @ctrueden!
I might do that before Friday (if Curtis isn’t faster ;-))

Good day Robert,

could you please tell the rest of us whether your elaborated script editor works with plain ImageJ (with Java 8 installed)?

Thanks

Herbie

It certainly will, if you install all of scijava/script-editor's dependencies – which is almost equivalent of running Fiji :slight_smile:

Thanks Jan,

the reason I’ve asked is that the statement at github “Implement ij1macro autocompletion” may lead to the conclusion that the script editor may work with plain ImageJ.

I understand now that “ij1 macro” simply refers to the ImageJ-macro language because I’m not aware of any other ImageJ-macro language (scripting languages excluded).

Best

Herbie

That’ll be it! It’s working fine for me now with the three jars. Thanks for editing the top level post to add in those links :slight_smile:

I second this feature request suggestion:

It’d be great to have as well, but the current state is certainly a major improvement on its own!

Also:

@ctrueden pressing ctrl+space after backspacing does bring back the autocompletion menu for me. Hope that helps.

Hi @dnmason,

there you go:

If you (or anybody else who tried earlier) could just download/install the recent imagej-legacy.jar and confirm that it works, it might make it into the next release.

Thanks for the suggestion! That was a golden one.

Cheers,
Robert

@haesleinhuepf,

great, also with the newest imagej-legacy.jar it works and the menu commands are displayed in my case.

Thanks a lot!

Thank you @haesleinhuepf this is a game changer!

Glorious little thing! Thank you so much!

Poor ImageJ Macro Functions Page, it’s gonna be getting fewer hits now :smiley:

Ah, no worries, the auto-complete plugin pings that page upon first usage when creating a map of macro commands that can be completed. :slight_smile:

Haha true, though will it ping it (or check a hash) periodically? Sometimes the page does get updated, and there are a couple of funtionalities that are not reported there (like close("\\Others");) so it could be nice to update it too.

Cool hint! Do you know any more hidden commands? I’d add them to the autocompletion pulldown then…

Thanks!

I will make a short list as I discover them and post it here.

Well, it actually is documented there, in the paragraph explaining the close(pattern) function:

If ‘pattern’ is “\Others”, all images except the front image are closed.

It’s just a bit difficult to parse all these infos, I guess…

Maybe these can be used to directly improve the functions.html page (@Wayne?), in order to avoid having to maintain yet another list that can get out of sync…

As I caught up on this thread, I kept clicking “Reply” with the intent of chiming in, but the next post was always @imagejan replying with the exact same idea I had planned to write. Thanks @imagejan! :smile:

And thanks again @haesleinhuepf for your efforts on this! :beers:

Awesome work, Robert!

I just started poking at it, and it works like a charm. This will indeed be a game-changer for beginners and seasoned users alike.

I could only spot a couple of minor errors:

• In the completition of the for comand, there’s a second comma instead of a semicolon:
    for (i = 0; i < 10, i++) {
  • There’s problem with the ampersand in:
    roiManager("add &amp; draw")
  • For Dialog.getNumber() the completed command gets additional text from the doc:
    Dialog.getNumber(), etc. to retrieve the values entered by the user.

As I said, just small details.

Congratulations and many thanks!

Hi @NicoDF,

thanks for the feedback! The first two issues were just fixed and are on the way.

The third issue brings me to the question: @ctrueden, @imagejan : Who has write access to the functions.html on the website? I would like to enter a line break :blush:

Cheers,
Robert

I can update the file at
http://wsr.imagej.net/developer/macro/functions.html

Is this the file you are using?

Hi @Wayne,

thanks for the quick reply. We are using a copy hosted on ImageJ.net. However, I believe we should keep the sites/files in sync.

Could you please insert a line break after <i>Dialog.getNumber()</i> in line 294? Futhermore, in line 2652, there is a quota too much in <a href="#setOption"">. Could you please remove this one as well?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Robert