Did something change with settings and email notifications?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fb882ccb428>

Previously I set up my account to email me whenever the bonej tag got used, so that I’d get alerted to things to which I ought to pay attention.

For the last month or 2 I’ve not had any of these emails and I see that the setting to get emailed or set to track certain tags, had its tag list cleared. Did something change somewhere?

2016-12-12 lots of forum email received as before, this is fixed.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, @mdoube. My guess is that it was an unintended side effect of a Discourse version upgrade. Were you able to reenable notifications for the bonej tag? Or is email notification actually non-functional for you?

Thanks @ctrueden, I’m going to make my email settings super-chatty and see if I start getting some.

2016-11-29 update: no emails received

OK, I did not understand before that you actually do have your email notification settings turned on, but are not receiving email. A lot of people are complaining about that now, particularly people who are trying to sign up but cannot because they never receive the confirmation email.

I am investigating now…

Edit: Our imagej.net domain did not have the requisite SPF record, which can cause sporadic email delivery. I added one; we’ll see if it helps within the next few hours.

2016-12-07 update: no emails received

Same thing here: my last notification mail from the forum is from October 27, although I was mentioned twice after that date (and therefore should have been notified by email).

Also, when I look at the list of new users, the Last Emailed column is empty for at least the last 30 days.

I am sorry that I did not have time to address this problem this week. I will unfortunately be on vacation next week, and at a hackathon the week after that. I will make time to fix this as soon as I can, but it will likely be awhile yet.

I do not know why email is suddenly crapping out so completely, although I did do an analysis a couple of days ago using mail-tester.com. It discovered the following issues:

Your message is not signed with DKIM

DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) is a method for associating a domain name to an email message, thereby allowing a person, role, or organization to claim some responsibility for the message.

You do not have a DMARC record

A DMARC policy allows a sender to indicate that their emails are protected by SPF and/or DKIM, and give instruction if neither of those authentication methods passes. Please be sure you have a DKIM and SPF set before using DMARC.
You do not have a DMARC record, please add a TXT record to your domain _dmarc.imagej.net with the following value:

v=DMARC1; p=none

Verification details:

mail-tester.com; dmarc=none header.from=imagej.net
From Domain: imagej.net
DKIM Domain: 

Your reverse DNS does not match with your sending domain.

Reverse DNS lookup or reverse DNS resolution (rDNS) is the determination of a domain name that is associated with a given IP address.
Some companies such as AOL will reject any message sent from a server without rDNS, so you must ensure that you have one.
You cannot associate more than one domain name with a single IP address.
Your IP address is associated with the domain wmmta5.doit.wisc.edu.
Nevertheless your message appears to be sent from smtp8.wiscmail.wisc.edu.

You may want to change your pointer (PTR type) DNS record and the host name of your server to the same value.

Here are the tested values for this check:

HELO: smtp8.wiscmail.wisc.edu
rDNS: wmmta5.doit.wisc.edu

You’re listed in 1 blacklist

Matches your server IP address ( against 21 of the most common ipv4 blacklists.
Listed in SORBS-SPAM

It also originally complained about a missing SPF record, but I fixed that one.

In order to avoid the reverse DNS and blacklist issues, it may be simplest to switch away from the UW-Madison’s mail server in favor of the one we run at LOCI, since I have no control over the former’s configuration.

For those looking for further updates on this issue, please see this forum thread.