Error message when attempting to run CLAHE

clahe
macro
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fd5408a4798> #<Tag:0x00007fd5408a4630>

Hello,

I am trying to use CLAHE through Fiji to enhance a stack of CT images. Every time I attempt to run the script, however, I get an error saying:

Stack required in line 24. 
Stack.<setFrame>(f);

Does anyone who is familiar with using CLAHE know what the issue could be? I haven’t been able to find any similar issues when searching the forum for discussions about CLAHE.

Thanks,
Greg

Hi Greg and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Is the script you are referring to taken from the CLAHE wiki site? Did you modify it at all? If so can you please share with us your version.

Just copy-pasting the script and selecting a random stack it runs without errors on my W10 system with a fresh install of Fiji.

The macro from the wiki:

blocksize = 127;
histogram_bins = 256;
maximum_slope = 3;
mask = "*None*";
fast = true;
process_as_composite = true;

getDimensions( width, height, channels, slices, frames );
isComposite = channels > 1;
parameters =
  "blocksize=" + blocksize +
  " histogram=" + histogram_bins +
  " maximum=" + maximum_slope +
  " mask=" + mask;
if ( fast )
  parameters += " fast_(less_accurate)";
if ( isComposite && process_as_composite ) {
  parameters += " process_as_composite";
  channels = 1;
}

for ( f=1; f<=frames; f++ ) {
  Stack.setFrame( f );
  for ( s=1; s<=slices; s++ ) {
    Stack.setSlice( s );
    for ( c=1; c<=channels; c++ ) {
      Stack.setChannel( c );
      run( "Enhance Local Contrast (CLAHE)", parameters );
    }
  }
}

Hello @Sverre and @gpandeli,

Here you are the equivalent Beanshell script in case you prefer to use it instead of a macro:

// @ImagePlus image
// @int(label="Block size", description="Size of the local region around a pixel for which the histogram is equalized", value=127) blocksize
// @int(label="Histogram bins", description="Number of histogram bins used for histogram equalization",value=256) histogram_bins
// @float(label="Maximum_slope", description="Limits the contrast stretch in the intensity transfer function", value=3f) maximum_slope
// @String(label="Mask", value="*None*", description="Mask for the filter application", required=false) mask
// @boolean(label="Fast", description="Fast but less accurate version of the filter", value=true) fast
// @boolean(label="Process as composite", description="If unchecked, the selected channel is processed individually", value=true) process_as_composite

import ij.IJ;
import ij.ImagePlus;

// read image dimensions
dim = image.getDimensions();
width = dim[ 0 ];
height = dim[ 1 ];
channels = dim[ 2 ];
slices = dim[ 3 ];
frames = dim[ 4 ];

isComposite = channels > 1;
parameters =
  "blocksize=" + blocksize +
  " histogram=" + histogram_bins +
  " maximum=" + maximum_slope +
  " mask=" + mask;
if ( fast )
  parameters += " fast_(less_accurate)";
if ( isComposite && process_as_composite ) {
  parameters += " process_as_composite";
  channels = 1;
}

// apply CLAHE to each component of the stack
for ( f=1; f<=frames; f++ ) {
  for ( s=1; s<=slices; s++ ) {
    for ( c=1; c<=channels; c++ ) {
      image.setPosition( c, s, f );
      IJ.run( image, "Enhance Local Contrast (CLAHE)", parameters );
    }
  }
}

Thanks Sverre and iarganda,

I did not modify the script at all, I was copy and pasting it directly from the wiki site.

Any ideas as to what the issue could be? One thing to note is that for some reason I have not been able to use import>image sequence through fiji to select an image stack, for some reason it will only allow me to select one image. Instead, I have been selecting the entire stack and just dragging and dropping it into fiji. I wouldn’t think this would make any difference but I though it worth mentioning. Other than that, I cannot think of anything out of the ordinary that might have caused the error.

Thanks,
Greg

When I copy and paste the script from the wiki as linked by @Sverre, I get Stack.setFrame( f ); in line 23, not 24. (But I don’t think this causes the issue here.)

The error message suggests that you simply don’t have a stack as the currently active image, but just a single slice. Possible?

This is how it is supposed to work: you select a single image from the folder, and in the subsequent dialog, you can choose more options, e.g. the file name pattern and a limit of files.

You mean you dragged the whole list of files onto Fiji? In this case, they opened in a single window per slice, which would explain your error. Try instead dragging the (single) folder containing your images.

Thank you so much Jan! That must be the problem as they did open in a single window per slice. I had a feeling it would be something silly as this is my first time working with fiji! I appreciate all the input.