Fiji in modern mode - no plugins listed in menu

dependencies
maven
menu
plugin
imagej2
fiji
imagej
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fd546859fa8> #<Tag:0x00007fd546859d00> #<Tag:0x00007fd546859aa8> #<Tag:0x00007fd5468597b0> #<Tag:0x00007fd546859530> #<Tag:0x00007fd546859260> #<Tag:0x00007fd546859058>

Hi all,

I would like to ask you for some advice on ImageJ2 plugins. If I run the Fiji application and switch it to the modern mode, I can see there are a lot of plugins listed in the menu (e.g. BigDataViewer).

However, if I check out the Fiji repository, do a Maven build, run it and then switch to the modern mode, no plugins are listed in the menu unless I specify the required plugins as dependencies in the Fiji’s pom.xml.

This process seems to be quite tedious. Did I miss something?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Best regards,
Petr

Group images with bioformats in Java code

Dear @PetrBainar,

How exactly are you building and running?

The plugins you are referring to, e.g. BigDataViewer, are declared as runtime dependencies in the POM. Hence, they will not be copied into a Fiji installation when you run Maven (which might be what you want to achieve?).

Best,
Stefan

Hi @stelfrich ,

Typically I run the following lines in the command prompt:
mvn clean install -Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true
mvn exec:java -D exec.mainClass=sc.fiji.Main

I would like to see those plugins like BigDataViewer listed in the menu. If I understand it correctly, I need to declare them as compile-time dependencies if I want to use Maven, otherwise they won’t be listed?

Many thanks for your help, Stefan.

Best regards,
Petr

I am not entirely sure, and don’t have the bandwidth to investigate further, but it seems to be related to ImageJ1 plugins. As far as I know, they are not discovered from the classpath but an ImageJ plugins/ folder is scanned at startup. Since mvn exec:java only adds dependencies to the classpath, only SciJava Commands are showing up in the menu.

@PetrBainar and I discussed this in person. But I reply here for the benefit of others reading this thread. :slight_smile:

The BigDataViewer specifically was an issue with version skew: the version of BDV shipped with Fiji is (as of this writing) newer than the one brought in on sc.fiji:fiji master branch. The newer version uses the SciJava plugin mechanism for its commands, whereas the older version still uses ImageJ 1.x.

On a general note: we are trying very hard to reconcile these two things, such that Fiji from the update site always matches the latest release tag of the sc.fiji:fiji project. And the master branch has only things that are the same or newer version. To accomplish this, we’ll need to use the automated Travis builds to auto-upload to the update site, and prohibit developers from uploading manually under normal circumstances. See fiji/fiji#38 and fiji/fiji#39 for some technical details, and to follow the progress.

In the meantime, the BDV issue you noticed is an unlucky consequence of this continuing discrepancy.

For ImageJ 1.x plugins in general, as @stelfrich points out, you must set plugins.dir if you want ImageJ 1.x to discover them and make them available. Normally, when you execute from an IDE or from Maven via the command line, this system property is not set and thus no ImageJ 1.x plugins are available. The thing is that the classpath consists of JARs scattered in all different directories (typically all over ~/.m2/repository) so there is no one correct value for plugins.dir. (I suppose you could set it to ~/.m2/repository but I haven’t tried it and I predict it would result in IJ1 going haywire scanning your entire Maven local repository cache.) One way to set plugins.dir is shown in the sc.fiji.Main class.

Finally, just to clarify: SciJava plugins in JARs on the classpath are discovered and presented in the menu structure even when running in a development environment. Your observations above are limited to ImageJ 1.x plugins only. If you notice otherwise, please let us know, since it is a bug.

Thank you guys for your help with this issue :slight_smile: