Fiji Jython-scripting error after update

Dear All,

Until I did an update this afternoon Fiji worked like a charm. I was using an older version I downloaded originally the 22nd of October but kept it updated from time to time. Now when I open it, I get this error and I can’t do anything.

[ERROR] Exception during event handling:
[Event] org.scijava.ui.event.UIShownEvent
context = org.scijava.Context@37763233
consumed = false
ui = legacy
[Subscriber] org.scijava.welcome.DefaultWelcomeService [priority = 0.0]
[Method] protected void org.scijava.welcome.DefaultWelcomeService.onEvent(org.scijava.ui.event.UIShownEvent)
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: net.imagej.legacy.LegacyService.getCombinedVersion()Ljava/lang/String;
at net.imagej.app.ToplevelImageJApp.getVersion(ToplevelImageJApp.java:66)
at org.scijava.welcome.DefaultWelcomeService.firstRunPrefKey(DefaultWelcomeService.java:139)
at org.scijava.welcome.DefaultWelcomeService.isFirstRun(DefaultWelcomeService.java:115)
at org.scijava.welcome.DefaultWelcomeService.onEvent(DefaultWelcomeService.java:129)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.scijava.event.DefaultEventService$ProxySubscriber.onEvent(DefaultEventService.java:302)
at org.scijava.event.DefaultEventService$ProxySubscriber.onEvent(DefaultEventService.java:276)
at org.bushe.swing.event.ThreadSafeEventService.publish(ThreadSafeEventService.java:971)
at org.scijava.event.DefaultEventBus.access$101(DefaultEventBus.java:56)
at org.scijava.event.DefaultEventBus$1.run(DefaultEventBus.java:190)
at org.scijava.thread.DefaultThreadService$1.run(DefaultThreadService.java:174)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:301)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:756)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:726)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

So I downloaded a newer version and replaced it. But now my jython scripts don’t work and throw errors in three instances that I didn’t have before:

When I want to recompile self-written modules with the sys.modules.clear() command, after that I need to restart Fiji, since every script stop to work
GenericDialog.getNextNumber() always results in a float, even when it isn’t
When I run a script, the if name == “main”: is not been recognized
What shall I do, I really am desperate, since I don’t have any working Fiji version left.

Cheers,
David

dear @dcolam,
please check this post with solution
Jython isssue with if __name__ == '__main__':

have a nice day
Emanuele

GenericDialog.getNextNumber() returns a Java double which is mapped to a Python float by Jython. You will have to take care of a conversion yourself.

Did this work before the update?

Best,
Stefan

Yes, everything was fine before the update. Also GenericDialog.getNextNumber() returned an integer when you defined the third parameter of GenericDialog.addNumericField() as a zero (number of digits). But yeah, it’s easily fixable.
However, the other stuff is annoying, especially the sys.modules.clear() function, which forces Jython to recompile my modules after every run.
@emartini, I will have a look at this post, thanks!

Cheers,
David

https://github.com/fiji/fiji/issues/172#issuecomment-327848674