Java3D Issue: BoneJ with latest Fiji version - Problem solved

bonej
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fd53ede17d0>

Please stick with us & have a go with BoneJ2 experimental as @rimadoma suggests, and let us know how you get on.

I personally need something strong before doing anything with Apple products; happy to give you my Martini recipe off-forum.

LOL, if only I drank martinis (don’t hate me).

We are using the Volume Fraction component.

The truly frustrating thing about this is that I had it BoneJ and the 3D libraries working two weeks ago. Then the iMac crashed (new BTW) and got wiped by the Apple Store folks.

Thank you for the instructions. I will try this soonest and get back.

-Dave

@ctreuden:

Thank you for the detailed reply. Unfortunately, I only understood about half of what you said. My forté is Windows.

As far as “sticking with an older version of macOS”, that may not be an option. This is a brand new iMac. I will give it some thought.

Do you think a Linux VM would be easier than getting this to work on Sierra?

It would be worth a try. The performance of Java 3D in a VM may suffer (or may not—try and see). But hopefully it will at least still function.

Alternately, you could Boot Camp to Windows or Linux, which should retain good 3D performance.

@ctreuden

Update:

In an attempt to get this working anywhere, I have now downloaded Fiji w/Java 6 and Fiji w/Java 8 onto my Win10 PC.

Our best case scenario right now (on both Mac and PC) goes like this…

1. File -> Import -> Image Sequence -> select folder containing images -> wait while images are imported
  2. Plugins -> 3D Viewer (3D viewer launches fine with no errors) -> we can see and manipulate the compiled image in the 3D Viewer.
  3. Plugins -> BoneJ -> Volume Fraction -> Immediately get message: “Java 3D libraries are not installed. Please install and run the ImageJ 3D Viewer…etc…”

Does this help?

Thank you again for your time and attention.

Dave

@Dave_Maag

It’s possible that even if the 3D viewer works for viewing, the libraries it uses under the hood have changed, so BoneJ doesn’t recognise them. @rimadoma suggested making BoneJ’s environment check more specific so that it only complains about missing 3D libraries at the point in the code when they’re really needed. I’m a bit short on bandwidth right now to do this for BoneJ1; the alternative is to have a go with BoneJ2.

Sounds great. Which version did you use for testing in your following report? Java 6? Or Java 8?

Maybe it’d be best to only complain about missing 3D libs where possible, i.e. “You wanted me to display surfaces, but I can’t. Here’s your other results though.” instead of “I won’t run because there are no 3D libs”. With Volume Fraction having the libs for creating a mesh is essential, and the surface based version cannot run without them. But the voxel based can.

I used both.

I will try BoneJ2. Thank you.

OK, good news. I was able to get this working by using BoneJ2. Thank you for the suggestion @mdoube

Next, I will go try this on the iMac.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more…

@mdoube Just a side note: at the moment BoneJ2 can create meshes with marching cubes and calculate their properties in Volume fraction and Isosurface, but it doesn’t know how to visualize them yet.

Hi @Dave_Maag,

@ctrueden (big thanks!) and I have been trying to reproduce your problem on Windows 10, but in our environments BoneJ works fine. Here are the steps we took to get BoneJ up and running:

1. Download and install Java 6 lifeline version of Fiji
  2. Download BoneJ and drop it to the Fiji.app/plugins/ folder as per normal.
  3. Launch Fiji and start using the plugins.

We’ve tested that these steps work on both Win 8.1 64-bit and Win 10 64-bit.

Best regards,
Richard