Particle identification and inclusion level determination

batch-processing
imagej
roi
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fb87bad4400> #<Tag:0x00007fb87bad4298> #<Tag:0x00007fb87bad4130>

Hi.

I am new to ImageJ and a bit overwhelmed by all of the possible macros and plugins. I am a final year student doing a project on building a database for finding specific items in images and determining their inclusion levels when they are mixed with other items.

What would be the best way to:

1. Calibrate the software for these specific items (e.g. leaves of the same plant)?
  2. Identify the items in a mixture of other items in the same physical form?
  3. Determine the inclusion level (as a percentage) of the calibrated item in the mixture?

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Kind regards

Hi @cherilynn_steyn,

welcome to the forum.
To be able to help you we will need at least one typical sample image. If they look very different, better 2 or 3.
Then we can tell you what kind of possibilities you will have regarding your analysis of interest and how you potentially can start doing this. Make sure that you use .png or ling the original raw format or tiff. Avoid using jpg if possible.

1. I would guess that you will need to try to segment the image (and some more info on that topic)
  2. if size and form are extremely similar you might only be able to do this if their color or texture is different, otherwise a computer cannot distinguish things as good/easy as a human can do this.
  3. once you can distinguish the leaves that’s the simplest part because you will be able to count those e.g. using ►Analyze ►Analyze Particles…