Preventing @Parameter gui popup during scripted runs

ij2command
parameters
scripting
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fd542de62e0> #<Tag:0x00007fd542de61a0> #<Tag:0x00007fd542de6038>

Hi all,
after sticking with ij1-style plugins for a long time, I have finally decided to test the waters and start moving one of my internal tools over to ij2. In general the @Plugin framework seems to work very well, the whole @Parameter injection and gui-generation is really helpful, however I have found a little complication when running from scripts.

My use case is as follows: My plugin can either be run by providing a yaml file (which contains all necessary parameters), or an XML file which requires a few additional parameters to work. This works fine in GUI runs, however for scripted runs I would like to be able to just provide a yaml file and NOT have it display the usual popup. Right now my parameters look as follows:

@Parameter(visibility = ItemVisibility.MESSAGE, required = false)
	private String label1 = "<html>Please select either:<br>"
			+ "a Cell Extractor Yaml File<br>"
			+ "a directory containing multiple Cell Extractor Yaml Files<br>"
			+ "or the XML output file of a Cell Counter</html>";

@Parameter(label = " ", callback = "fileChanged", required = true)
	private File userFile;

@Parameter(visibility = ItemVisibility.MESSAGE, required = false)
	private String label2 = "<html><br>"
			+ "The following fields only need to be filled in when using a Cell Counter XML file.<br>"
			+ "When selecting a yml file, the parameters are read from that file instead.</html>";

@Parameter(label = "Image Path File:", required = false)
	private File imgPathFile;

@Parameter(label = "Output Directory:", required = false)
	private File outFile;

@Parameter(label = "Scale:", min = "0.1", max = "10", stepSize = "0.1", required = false)
	private double scale = 2.0;

@Parameter(label = "Cube X-size:", min = "1", max = "500", required = false)
	private int cubeX = 50;

@Parameter(label = "Cube Y-size:", min = "1", max = "500", required = false)
	private int cubeY = 50;

@Parameter(label = "Cube Z-size:", min = "1", max = "500", required = false)
	private int cubeZ = 20;

I would now like to be able to run the plugin as follows:

run("My Plugin", "userfile=/path/to/someExampleFile.yml");

But it still displays the popup to populate the remaining parameters. As a matter of fact, this even extends to the messages:

run("My Plugin", "userfile=/path/to/someExampleFile.xml imgpathfile=/path/to/anImagePathFile.txt outfile=/some/random/output/dir scale=2.0 cubex=50 cubey=50 cubez=20");

Even when I provide all the parameters, a popup still appears. This popup will have only the messages visible but no option for the user to actually enter any data. Is there any way to prevent a popup from appearing when e.g. only non-required parameters are undefined?

Thanks,
Christian

Dear @cniedwor,

So you actually have

1. part of a plugin that does a computation and requires some parameters, and
  2. part of that plugin that reads parameters from files

Did I get that right? If that’s the case, you should have a Command that does the computation with all the required parameters (imgPathFile, outFile, etc) and an additional Command or maybe a Groovy script that reads in an XML or YAML file (i.e. it has one @Parameter userFile), parses the contents and passes the contents to the aforementioned Command that does the computation.

In that case, your two invocations would be

run("My Plugin (from YAML)", "userfile=/path/to/someExampleFile.yml");
run("My Plugin", "imgpathfile=/path/to/anImagePathFile.txt outfile=/some/random/output/dir scale=2.0 cubex=50 cubey=50 cubez=20");

And My Plugin (from YAML) effectively calls My Plugin with its parameters.

Best,
Stefan

Still there’s clearly an issue with MESSAGE parameters apparently. They do not get recorded by the macro recorder (which is correct), but are not automatically resolved when called from a macro.

Consider this Groovy script named Input_Parameters.groovy:

#@ String (value = "Please select", visibility = "MESSAGE", required = false) label1
#@ File (label = " ", required = true) userFile
#@ String (value = "Not required", visibility = "MESSAGE", required = false) label2
#@ File (label = "Image Path File:", required = false) imgPathFile
#@ File (label = "Output Directory:", required = false) outFile
#@ double (label = "Scale:", min = "0.1", max = "10", stepSize = "0.1", required = false, value = 2.0) scale
#@ int (label = "Cube X-size:", min = "1", max = "500", required = false, value = 50) cubeX
#@ int (label = "Cube Y-size:", min = "1", max = "500", required = false, value = 50) cubeY
#@ int (label = "Cube Z-size:", min = "1", max = "500", required = false, value = 20) cubeZ

println "Done."

Running this from a macro:

run("Input Parameters", "userfile=foo imgpathfile=bar outfile=foo2 scale=0.0 cubex=0 cubey=0 cubez=0");

will result in a dialog like this:

I guess the labels are not marked as resolved inputs then?

Yes, that’s what I meant with:

Let’s open an issue for this. Does it go to scijava-common or rather to imagej-legacy?

Good question! I would go for scijava-common although that’s just gut feeling…

EDIT to back up my gut feeling:

Plugins/Script_.groovy:

#@ String (value = "Please select", visibility = "MESSAGE", required = false) label1
#@ String (value = "Not required", visibility = "MESSAGE", required = false) label2
#@ double (label = "Scale:", min = "0.1", max = "10", stepSize = "0.1", required = false, value = 2.0) scale

println "Done."

Plugins/Call_Script.groovy:

#@ModuleService modules

moduleInfo = modules.getModuleById("script:Plugins/Script_.groovy");
module = modules.createModule(moduleInfo);
future = modules.run(module, true, ["scale": 1.0])
future.get();

Thanks, that would indeed solve the yaml vs xml run thing, but the problem still remains that

run("My Plugin", "imgpathfile=/path/to/anImagePathFile.txt outfile=/some/random/output/dir scale=2.0 cubex=50 cubey=50 cubez=20");

triggers a popup despite the fact that the command contains all modifiable parameters. The popup shows just the messages and contains no user input. I can pass arbitrary values to the labels to prevent the popup:

run("My Plugin", "imgpathfile=/path/to/anImagePathFile.txt outfile=/some/random/output/dir scale=2.0 cubex=50 cubey=50 cubez=20 label1=foo label2=bar");

This works but is not very intuitive to an end-user who might want to use the plugin in a script and seems somewhat hacky. I want to make sure I’m not missing an intended clean way of preventing the popup (that I don’t yet know about)…

edit: was too slow replying - I can see the message issue was picked up, thanks!!
Until this is resolved I’ll see if I can find another way to design the UI/descriptions around it.

Thanks for the illustrative example. Here’s the issue report:

run("My Plugin", "imgpathfile=/path/to/anImagePathFile.txt outfile=/some/random/output/dir scale=2.0 cubex=50 cubey=50 cubez=20 label1=foo label2=bar");

In case anyone else ever needs to do something like that:
Make sure to set the persist flag to false for the labels, otherwise the gui looks pretty funny after the label hack :grin:

Yup, that’s another open issue unfortunately: message fields should default to persist=false and required=false, see also here: