This is a great, recent blog post - Quantifying microscopy images: top 10 tips for image acquisition - from Cell Profiler. The 10 topics are as follows:
- Lossless file formats: please, no JPG!
- Proper exposure time: avoid saturation and lack of dynamic range
- Bit depth: Be sure your image file’s bit depth suits the camera’s pixel intensity range
- Grayscale vs. color images: save whatever you like!
- Magnification/resolution/binning: make good choices
- Illumination/background variation: correct if you can
- Plate types for imaging
- Brightfield/histology images
- Selection of stains
- Live cell imaging
With great tips/descriptions for each !!!
I hope you find it helpful!