Real names vs. avatar names

Personally, I agree that using a real name is an honest thing to do, and is more professional/collegial.

However, there are many legitimate reasons a person may choose not to use a real name, including the protection of one’s personal safety. Whether to use a real name is a personal choice. As such, this forum makes no stipulations about use of a real name vs. pseudonym. We respect each user’s decision to share—or not—any personal information when seeking help here.

It is, however, against this forum’s guideline of civility to diminish or insult others, passive aggressively or otherwise. If helping people who have not publicized their real names offends your sensibilities, then you may choose not to do so. But if you do choose to help, please do so respectfully.

Dear Curtis,

having 40 years of international scientific experience, I think that

“[…] using a real name is an honest thing to do, and is more professional/collegial.”

must be the general basis of a forum dealing with scientific image processing.

“[…] including the protection of one’s personal safety.”

If personal safety in science is in any danger than let’s stop doing science.

“It is, however, against this forum’s guideline of civility
to diminish or insult others, passive aggressively or otherwise. If
helping people who have not publicized their real names offends your
sensibilities, then you may choose not to do so. But if you do choose to help, please do so respectfully.”

If addressing someone by “Good day Noname”, who seeks assistance/help while hiding his real name “diminishes or insults” this person, then I obviously seem to live in a world that is fundamentally different from yours. In such cases it is better for me to leave the forum-world, will say I shall immediately sign off from this forum. Meet you on the ImageJ-list.

Good bye

Herbie